Could a port have a dependency on a port variant?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Jun 25 10:44:51 PDT 2015

Hi,

----- On 25 Jun, 2015, at 12:19, Joël Brogniart Joel.Brogniart at laposte.net wrote:

> Could a port have a dependency on a port variant?

As you already know, the answer to that is the active_variants PortGroup (use
1.1, not the 1.0 version).

> For example, the port for auto-multiple-choice has a variant -latex as this
> software is able to work either with MacPorts TexLive installation or the
> official OS X TexLive installation. Users of TexLive generally prefer to use
> the official version as it contains many valuable tools.

Which tools are that, and does MacPorts' copy of TeXLive not have them? For
example, I prefer the MacPorts version over the installer.

> On my machine I have a local portfile for the development version of
> auto-multiple-choice
> (http://project.auto-multiple-choice.net/projects/auto-multiple-choice/wiki/Building_AMC_for_MAC_OSX>.
> But this version depends on dblatex port to transform DocBook documentation to
> Tex. And the dblatex port depends on MacPorts version of TexLive. So the -latex
> variant of auto-multiple-choice is disabled by the dependency of dblatex to
> TexLive.

You could re-write the dblatex dependency as bin:dblatex:dblatex and add the
directory of the MacTeX dblatex to binpath in macports.conf (IIRC it's /usr/texbin
or something? It's been a while…)

--
Clemens Lang