[133168] trunk/dports/sysutils

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Mar 2 06:02:03 PST 2015

> On Mar 2, 2015, at 4:40 AM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
>> Still wish developers would provide proper release tarballs which would obviate
>> the need...
>
> It's convenient for developers to just use the submodules. As long as we just
> fetch the tags, there's nothing they can do. Of course, they could use github's
> release feature, though.

if we put some automation in place so it was easy for a portfile author to create/post a distfile (that gets mirrored on our mirrors), we wouldn't have to deal with this at all, right?

I still think doing that (and possibly removing support for fetching via a SCM, or at least discouraging it and only using it if a license prohibits us from mirroring the distfile) would be a better solution.

--
Daniel J. Luke