MacPort selfupdate using SVN

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Mar 11 04:25:33 PDT 2015

On 2015-03-11 11:19, Jackson Isaac wrote:
> I meant that it doesn't run 'svn update' when I do sync. It just tries to
> "Synchronizing local ports tree from
> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/"
>
> The output of running sync with svn was the following:
>
> """
> DEBUG: Copying /Users/JacksonIsaac/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist
> to /opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> Synchronizing local ports tree from
> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/
> Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider
> updating them by running 'port selfupdate'.
> Creating port index in
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports
>
> Total number of ports parsed:    0
> Ports successfully parsed:    0
> Ports failed:            0
> Up-to-date ports skipped:    0
> """

Okay, this is not as expected, indeed. The code checks for .svn or a
successful 'svn info' in the ports tree directory to determine whether
it should be synchronized using Subversion. In your case, port just
skipped this because it did not find how to sync from a remote source.

What do you get if you run the following command?

 svn info /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/

What are the permissions on these directories? (just some guess)

 ls -l /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/

> I tried using the http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/PortTreeTarball
> method. For this it shows the following output:
>
> """
> DEBUG: Copying /Users/JacksonIsaac/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist
> to /opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> Synchronizing local ports tree from https://distfiles.macports.org/ports.tar.gz
> Warning: Cannot check if https://distfiles.macports.org/ports.tar.gz
> was updated, (Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with given CA
> certificates)
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:01
> --:--:--     0Error: Fetching
> https://distfiles.macports.org/ports.tar.gz failed (SSL certificate
> problem: Invalid certificate chain)
> DEBUG: Synchronization of 1 source(s) failed
>     while executing
> "mportsync [array get global_options]"
> port sync failed: Synchronization of 1 source(s) failed
> """
>
> As a workaround I used http:// instead of https. So it would be better
> if this is also mentioned in the wiki/PortTreeTarball. Can I update
> the wiki for this?

What version of Mac OS X are you using? Our SSL certificate chain should
be in the trust anchors of a default installation. At least it works
without problems for me on OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

Rainer