[135847] trunk/dports/science/volk

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 6 17:16:17 PDT 2015

On May 6, 2015, at 12:09 PM, Michael Dickens wrote:

> Thanks for the pointers on using {} only when using [] but not *; I'll
> update the Portfile shortly. I prefer to be "transparent" in compiler
> selection, so blacklisting even compilers that won't be chosen is better
> than not & really does no harm.

Does no harm, but also doesn't help anything.

> As for using the compiler_blacklist_versions, there is a line in the
> cxx11 variant that reads:
> {{{
>        compiler.blacklist-append *gcc* {clang < 500}
> }}}
>
> Isn't the 2nd part what this PortGroup is used for? Or, am I mistaken
> here? If so, then I'll move the PortGroup inclusion to just inside that
> clause. Thanks! - MLD

Yes, you're right, that syntax does use the compiler_blacklist_versions portgroup. That blacklist line was not added in this revision (it was added in r134849), so I did not know that line was in the portfile.

On May 6, 2015, at 12:56 PM, Michael Dickens wrote:

> As a "related aside", running lint on my current volk port (which moves
> the compilers_blacklist_version PortGroup into just where it is needed),
> results in:
> {{{
> % port lint --nitpick volk
> --->  Verifying Portfile for volk
> Error: Line 35 uses compiler.blacklist in a way that requires the
> compiler_blacklist_versions portgroup, but this portgroup has not been
> included
> Error: Line 129 uses compiler.blacklist in a way that requires the
> compiler_blacklist_versions portgroup, but this portgroup has not been
> included
> Error: Line 142 uses compiler.blacklist in a way that requires the
> compiler_blacklist_versions portgroup, but this portgroup has not been
> included
> --->  3 errors and 0 warnings found.
> }}}
>
> Line 35 is "compiler.blacklist-append *gcc-3.* {*gcc-4.[0-2]}"
>
> Line 129 is "compiler.blacklist-append *clang* {*gcc-4.[3-6]}"
>
> Line 142 is "compiler.blacklist-append *gcc* {clang < 500}"
>
> Line 141 is "PortGroup compiler_blacklist_versions 1.0" ... so, "lint"
> needs to some where here ;) - MLD

When I added this check to "port lint" in r119714, I did not realize that there would be use cases where someone would use "{" in a compiler.blacklist entry that did not involve the use of the compiler_blacklist_versions portgroup, so the first two errors are false positives. Perhaps I can improve the lint check to be more specific than just checking for the "{" character.