Package delivery without XCode

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon May 18 08:56:17 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at macports.org>
wrote:

> 1) How much work would it take to have a mode in MacPorts where it only
> installs pre-compiled

There is already "buildfromsource never" settable in macports.conf.

> OTOH, someone posted some information several weeks ago explaining how to
> determine if that licence conflict really applies or not. (Involves
> inspecting library linkages, as I recall.)  I get the impression that our
> current policy is quite conservative and that a number of packages (many?)
> may actually qualify for binary distribution with some analysis and
> verification.

But someone needs to put in that time --- and time is always a problem in a
volunteer-run project.

If you install a separate MacPorts from source in a different prefix than
/opt/local (so people don't have to *avoid* MacPorts conflicts), you can
make drag-and-drop installable apps. There are also tools to help make
self-contained app bundles, although that requires manual intervention.