`port rev-upgrade` exits with code 139

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 01:34:09 PST 2015

Hi,

Ok, so I've been playing with MacPorts on Linux again, and I know that's not supported. Yet, more things (ports) work than I expected, and as I argued elsewhere, I'm getting some use out of it (even -or maybe, especially- with a relaxed reproducible-builds approach that allows ports to use dependencies from the host).

One thing that doesn't work of course is the whole database of binaries bit, which expects Mach-O objects. I found that out when I provided a working fileIsBinary routine in Pextlib (very easy to do), so I degraded fileIsBinary to return false for all files (thinking it'd always be better to have the function than not).

However, port now exits with code 139 each time it terminates with the rev-upgrade phase, and there is no debug output whatsoever to determine why. I was expecting that if fileIsBinary returns false systematically, rev-upgrade would always work as if ports installed no binary files, but maybe there is an interplay with supported_archs that raises an error if that setting is not set to noarch?
It's not a deal-breaker, so this is mostly an out-of-curiosity question, of course.

Thanks,
R.