Errors should probably come after notes?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Apr 8 14:23:59 PDT 2016

On 8 April 2016 at 22:24, Clemens Lang wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 09:29:35PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> What I don't like so much is that the notes come *after* the error
>> report. I ended up with about 10 notes following the error, so I could
>> easily have missed the fact that there was an error at all (I had to
>> scroll a few screens back to actually see it).
>
> That's a tough question -- you wouldn't want users to miss the notes,
> either.

Sure. But notes can get pages long and when doing a mere upgrade they
are often irrelevant ("if you want to make this version of X your
default, run port select ..."). The error would be a few lines at most
(not counting the "port -v ..." output of course, but just the lines
that say where to look for long and how to report a problem).

>> Shouldn't the order be reversed? (I'm not sure how difficult it is to
>> change it though.)
>
> Implementation is in port/port.tcl. The call that prints the notes is in
> process_cmd, line 4685: portclient::notifications::display.
> Unfortunately that part that prints the error message is in $action_proc
> called a few lines before, so it's not trivial to switch.

Yes, I imagined. One would throw an error message as soon as you hit it.

Plugging the notes somewhere in-between might be a bit tricky / unnatural.

Mojca