variants

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Apr 11 13:42:04 PDT 2016

On Apr 11, 2016, at 3:29 PM, David Strubbe <dstrubbe at macports.org> wrote:
> Well, that is not the current behavior if a variant is specified manually.

yes, when you enter a different command, you do get different results.

> Why do you think it would be inappropriate to do that for default variants?

Variants are 'special'

The ideal port has no variants (or at least has only default variants) - it builds with all reasonable options and people don't have to think about it.

The dependency engine doesn't really handle variants - if it did, then I suppose it could make sense to pass default variants down.

--
Daniel J. Luke