How to discontinue ports completely (py26 deprecation) ...

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Wed Aug 10 14:21:44 PDT 2016

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016, Sterling Smith wrote:

> I am all in favor of removing cruft.  However, would it be worthwhile to
> ping the user email list about the ports that will be deprecated (give a
> specific list), to see if anyone will complain, or is it better to just
> remove them, and then when someone complains tell them how to go back to
> an old version of a Port?

I don't consider Python 2.6 to be "cruft".  Developers need many versions
of Python installed for testing, and that includes any packages that are
also needed.  It's annoying to have to create local versions of portfiles
solely to add versions that are missing for no substantive reason.

Python 2.6 here:

MacPro:~ fw$ port installed|egrep 'py(|thon)26'
  py26-cairo @1.10.0_3 (active)
  py26-pip @8.1.2_0 (active)
  py26-readline @6.2.4.1_1 (active)
  py26-setuptools @25.1.0_0 (active)