port install v port mpkg | mdmg

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Aug 12 03:30:47 PDT 2016

Hello,

On 2016-08-10 17:23, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> Is it possible for a port to take different actions depending on
> whether the user has initiated ‘port install’ v. 'port mpkg’ (or
> ‘port mdmg’)?

Unfortunately, no, as all phases can be run individually. So up to the
destroot phase, there is no knowledge whether the following step would
be install or mpkg.

> My mythtv-pkg.27 is intended to be used to create an all-in-one
> installer package for MythTV.  I have a VM with a custom prefix for
> this.  The resulting mpkg needs daemondo, so I created the nasty hack
> in MacPorts_daemondo.  However, mythtv-pkg.27 could be a nice
> shortcut for a MacPorts user that wants to install a complete MythTV
> system in one go.  In such case, they don’t need MacPorts_daemondo.

One solution for this could be in base to automatically include daemondo
in the mpkg when it is used by the port being packaged.

See portmpkg::make_dependency_list in src/package1.0/portmpkg.tcl [1]
where the list of dependencies is generated. If the port to be packaged
has a startupitem, additionally include MacPorts_daemondo in the result
list.

Of course MacPorts_daemondo itself would still be a hack and require
force activation...

Rainer

[1]
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/src/package1.0/portmpkg.tcl?rev=134837#L61