How to use git

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 19 17:19:33 PDT 2016

Here are some resources GitHub recommends for learning git:

https://help.github.com/articles/good-resources-for-learning-git-and-github/

When MacPorts moves to GitHub, committers will need to stop using their
existing Subversion working copies and get a fresh copy of the code from
GitHub. There will be separate repositories for base, ports, the web site,
and so forth.

If you are a committer or would like to contribute to MacPorts in the
future, and you don't already have a GitHub account, you should create one
now. If you are a committer, you should add your @macports.org email address
to your GitHub account now, so that any past commits you made in Subversion
are properly associated with your GitHub account.

Some of our developers are not very, or not at all, familiar with how to use
git, and I include myself in that list. It would be great if we could
prepare a wiki page that helps Subversion users learn to use git, perhaps
with examples such as "In Subversion, to update your working copy with the
latest code, you run 'svn update', while with git, you update your clone
using 'git pull'". We may also need some task-related examples, such as how
to create a new port; how to update an existing port; how to install an
updated version of a port that was submitted as a pull request; how to fix a
pull request that isn't quite correct. We may also need some explanations of
git terminology, such as "master", "origin", "rebase", "fast-forward", etc.
Let's use this wiki page to collect this information:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit

If you aren't familiar with git, please ask specific questions about tasks
that you don't know how to do in git. If you are familiar with git, please
help answer these questions.

GitHub offers a nice Mac app that makes it easy to do basic tasks like
committing updates without having to know how to use git on the command
line.

GitHub also offers a Subversion compatibility feature. If you don't know git
and don't want to learn right now, you can continue to use the Subversion
client as before, you'll just have to "svn checkout" a new working copy from
the GitHub repository URL. You can use that working copy with your normal
Subversion client and it should behave as a normal Subversion repository.