How to use git

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 22:47:43 PDT 2016

Hi Lawrence,

On 20/08/2016, at 1:24 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>> On Aug 19, 2016, at 11:16 PM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Qt and KDE moved from svn to git a while back.  IIRC it was quite an effort for a
>> few individuals to port all the repositories across and preserve all the history.
>> They had to write lots of scripts and check all the results.  I hope it is easier now.
>
> We'll actually be using svn2git for the migration, so in a very real sense we have you (collectively) to thank :)
>
> https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/MoveToGit/UsingSvn2Git

I don't know if this applies to Macports, but KDE did a lot of splitting of SVN
"module" repositories into individual project repositories on git.  For example,
the KDE Games module on SVN went from one repository to about 40 repositories:
one for each game and library.  This was to limit the overheads, for developers,
of cloning git repositories in their local machines, but it made building "everything"
(i.e. collections of repositories) a little harder.

Cheers, Ian W.