registry lock

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:13:50 PST 2016

On Wednesday November 18 2015 13:01:22 Rainer Müller wrote:

>As I said, there is potential to allow certain operations with
>fine-grained locking, but it requires more planning to get this right.
>Just enforcing serialization of all actions that modify the registry is
>the easy solution that works in most cases.

Just remembered this thread looking at a case where I actually made use of the locking mechanism.

I can understand it is not trivial to get more fine-grained locking right, but it's also a feature that mostly gets in my way, however important it is in certain circumstances.
Maybe the "simplest" solution would be to provide an option to ignore the lock if it's present, and leave it to the user to know what s/he is doing (and assume the consequences, like with -n, -p or -o)?

R.