uploading distfiles directly to the distfiles mirror

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Jan 7 10:55:49 PST 2016

On 2016-01-07 04:10, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2016, at 8:53 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
> wrote:
>> On Jan 6, 2016, at 7:51 PM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>>
>>> maybe for maintainers (or committers only)?
>>>
>>> and probably 'sftp' instead of 'ftp'

>>> sure, that would work too.
>>>
>>> I would think people's mirrors would go in a user directory too
>>> (similar to how the svn stuff worked) - so it would be obvious
>>> that it was a maintainer/committer sourced distfile.
>>
>> In that case, this is sounding like a different and separate file
>> hosting service we could provide, not to be thought of as part of
>> the distfile mirror.
>
> I don't have a preference for which machine it's hosted on - if we
> could make use of one of the existing authentication mechanisms,
> though, that would be great.

I agree this should be separated from distfiles.macports.org, at least
in a different subdirectory.

Direct write access using a FTP/SFTP/HTTP upload is probably easy to
implement, but the uploaded tarballs are not transparent as we cannot
easily reproduce their contents. Note we are currently hosting some
older tarballs on our sourceforge project:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/macports/files/distfiles/

Let me also point to my proposal from a few weeks back on how tarballs
could automatically be generated for fetch.types from VCS:

https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2015-November/031742.html

I welcome anyone who wants to try to add such a feature and of course
offer mentoring for the process. This would be a bit more than
bite-sized, but a project with fixed scope that could be a good entry to
base development.

Rainer