VLC cannot play MKV files?

Vincent Habchi vince at macports.org
Sat Jan 23 09:33:07 PST 2016

> Ah, not mine AFAIK. The portfile I submitted on Trac *probably* contains a VLC-devel port for 3.0.0-150503-g7385062d (my local copy does), but I don't think I tried building or using that one since May last year (1505).

I could have a stab at compiling it, if you want.

> If you only installed those libraries for VLC then you shouldn't lose much. You would however have more definite proof whether your issue is due to something with the MacPorts build or in VLC itself. If the latter, you should take it up on the VLC bug tracker.

The pre-packaged VLC works fine. It’s definitely something wrong with MacPorts somewhere.

The other reason I prefer to use the compiled VLC is, well, to optimise the code. I suppose compiling with -march=native gives a slightly better code than the standard bundle which must work on every hardware. I am not sure this is really signifiant, though.

Finally, I can disable much cruft, like the LUA interface, RTP and so on, I don’t need.

Overall, I might be over-cautious. :B

Vincent