VLC cannot play MKV files?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 23:58:26 PST 2016

On Monday January 25 2016 19:39:26 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>I was under the impression that Apple already compressed the files and programs installed with the operating system, using HFS compression, ever since taking up less disk space was listed as a feature of Snow Leopard.

Yeah, I thought so too, but I also have the impression that may not always work as advertised after a few updates have been applied. Easy enough to check with `ls -lO` (/usr/bin/ls that is).

Even better than HFS compression is storing little-used apps on a compressed DMG and running them from there. That's what I've been doing with iTunes ever since it was code-signed and I could no longer get rid of the considerable amount of useless (to me) stuff in the app bundle.
The total footprint in bytes isn't very different of course, but it's always more efficient to have a single big file rather than the same number of bytes in myriads of smaller files.

R.