HFS+ compression options (WAS: VLC cannot play MKV files?)

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Fri Jan 29 07:23:15 PST 2016

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 03:00:52PM +0100, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> > I think the system bsdtar doesn't support this on all OS X versions
>> > that do support hfs compression.
>>
>> Right, on my OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite it does not seem to be supported. In
>> the ticket you said it was not supported on OS X 10.9. Can anybody
>> please check whether it is actually supported on OS X 10.11 El Capitan?
>>
>> $ echo "666f6f00...000000" | /usr/bin/bsdtar --hfsCompression -xqOf -
>> foo>/dev/null
>> bsdtar: Option --hfsCompression is not supported
>> Usage:

Perhaps an opportunistic execution of afsctool on just-extracted (not
yet moved into place) files in portimage.tcl (similar to the
opportunistic use of lbzip2 or pbzip2 during extraction) could be
done? I'd tend towards find + xargs (possibly with -P <jobs> to speed
things up) but any number of approaches would work. Should likely be
controlled (able to be forcefully disabled) by a config option and a
check that the filesystem is HFS+.

 - Eric