-v being a bit too chatty

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 02:16:11 PST 2016

Hi,

My qt5-kde port has the following bit of code that adds the appropriate -sdk option to configure.args:

{{{
            # default: build for the current OS version, requesting the corresponding SDK explicitly
            if {[catch {system "xcrun --show-sdk-path -sdk macosx10.${OSX_MINOR}"} result]} {
                ui_debug "Couldn't find preferred SDK macosx10.${OSX_MINOR}: ${result}"
                # the preferred matching SDK isn't available; check if the default SDK is
  SNIP
            } else {
                ui_debug "Using SDK macosx10.${OSX_MINOR} : ${result}"
                configure.args-append \
                        -sdk [string tolower "macosx10.${OSX_MINOR}"]
            }
}}}

I had been noticing that `port {-vy install|-v info} somePortDependingOnQT5` printed the full path to the preferred SDK, and finally traced that back to the `catch {system "xcrun ..."}]` statement above.

2 questions:
- why is the Qt5-kde Portfile parsed when port:qt5-kde is uptodate?
- is there a way to silence output from `catch {system ...` even with the -v option? I thought the role of the catch function was also to ... catch the called function's output?

Thanks,
René