Weird situation after updating paho-mqtt

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Jun 10 03:55:25 PDT 2016

On 10 June 2016 at 12:17, Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 2016-06-10 11:42, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> I wonder whether this livecheck error was perhaps a consequence of
>>     https://trac.macports.org/changeset/148976
>> or some related change around that. It's quite possible that I ran
>> livecheck *before* running selfupdate and getting that particular
>> update. In particular I remember that I changed some ports of mine
>> which the commit above "overwrote" before I committed (more or less
>> the same) changes myself.
>
> I guess this is the reason why you saw the update previously... However,
> I am also not able to fully reconstruct the events as neither the old
> nor the new livecheck against pypi seems to know about version 1.2 at all.
>
> Apparently 1.2 was already tagged in git. Maybe you got your update
> notification from somewhere else (watching the git repo or something
> similar)?

I'm 100% sure that I never checked their git repository. I just did
what livecheck was suggesting me to do.

If livecheck change in MP did not influence the behaviour, my only
explanation would be that they might have found a bug and reverted
back to 1.1 by default, but I have absolutely no clue. Or that
something in the pypi architecture changed.

>> (I wanted to add that weird enough
>> http://distfiles.macports.org/py-paho-mqtt/ didn't contain the file
>> for 1.2, but I just realized that the file suddenly appeared there.
>> Most likely it just needed some time before the suitable script for
>> syncing was executed.)
>
> As far as I know, the distfiles are only fetched with a daily cronjob,
> that may take a while. Of course that only happened after you committed
> the update to 1.2.

Yes, that's what I guessed. But I was totally confused yesterday. I
initially thought that I dreamed about version 1.2 :) and started
wondering whether the files existed somewhere at all.

>> I'm also curious why I'm getting the error. From my past experience
>> sometimes livecheck would report stupid things like
>>
>>     py-paho-mqtt seems to have been updated (port version: 1.2, new
>> version: 1.1)
>>
>> This is certainly (still) the case for many perl modules (partially a
>> consequence of my recent switch to metacpan, but even if metacpan
>> contains older releases for unknown reasons, it's still weird that
>> older versions are reported as newer).
>
> This situation is already handled differently on trunk:
> https://trac.macports.org/changeset/127797

Thank you.

> $ port livecheck py-paho-mqtt
> Error: livecheck failed for py-paho-mqtt: extracted version '1.1' is
> older than livecheck.version '1.2'

But why

> port -v livecheck p5-config-simple
p5-config-simple seems to have been updated (port version: 4.59, new
version: 4.58)

then? Do we need to fix something parts of other code as well?

I opened
    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/51591
and I am eagerly waiting for David to come back and to solve all
remaining problems :)

Mojca