snapd

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Jun 20 02:43:47 PDT 2016

On 2016-06-17 19:34, Alexey Kuznetsov wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org
> <mailto:ryandesign at macports.org>> wrote:
>
>     Again: why? What problem are you trying to solve?
>

> I think snapd is a good point to try to start to be together. May be
> because no one tried three separate build system exists on Mac. Why
> waste people energy by supporting all of them instead of good collaboration?

There are different packaging and distribution systems because all of
them have a different users with their own interests. Yes, some efforts
are duplicated, but this does not mean that it is wasted.

Furthermore, back to the topic of Snappy packages, I recommend to read
this post by Kyle Keen. He describes how distributions adapt software to
the needs of their users. This mostly also applies to MacPorts, as we
often have to patch software to make it work on OS X at all or to  work
with our own policies (filesystem hierarchy, port select, etc.).

http://kmkeen.com/maintainers-matter/

Rainer