Help needing adapting home-brew formula?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Mar 26 17:58:18 PDT 2016

On 2016-03-27 00:36, André-John Mas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to update the mediainfo port to 0.7.83, though there are
> changes beyond the
> version number that need to be made.
>
> Based on suggestion of the application developer I am trying to base the
> updated Portfile
> on that recipe, but I am running into some issues. The homebrew file is:

> [...]

So far we are using the shell script included in the tarball for these
steps. I am not sure we are passing all required variables there and it
is a quite unusual approach.

I gave it a quick shot and attached an updated Portfile and patch to the
ticket you created. The resulting binary seems to work for me.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/50973

However, libmediainfo and libzen are actually standalone libraries. When
done properly, they should go into separate ports. That would also solve
this problem of running multiple configure/build/destroot steps or using
this shell script.

Look for example at the FreeBSD ports...

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/multimedia/mediainfo/Makefile?view=markup
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/multimedia/libmediainfo/Makefile?view=markup
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/multimedia/libzen/Makefile?view=markup

...or the ArchLinux packaging:

https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/mediainfo
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/libmediainfo
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/libzen

In my opinion, separate ports would be the better packaging for
mediainfo, although there will probably be no other dependents for
libmediainfo or libzen. Nevertheless, this would also remove complexity
from the Portfiles as they would use the common configure and make targets.

By setting dist_subdir to the same value in all of these Portfiles, they
would still share the fetched files to avoid local duplication.

Rainer