*-devel ports for llvm and gcc

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu May 12 01:51:20 PDT 2016

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> is released as a stable version it should be renamed to llvm-3.9. The
>> ports llvm-3.9 and llvm-3.9-devel are still drop-in replacements.
>
> This makes it much more difficult on developers when the time comes for a port
> to graduate from development to stable status, as I'm currently doing with
> gcc6. I don't want to impose that extra work on myself or other developers.

Why? As you said yourself all that's needed is using a path:-style dependency.
That's hardly extra work, and it's probably a good idea to leave that style in
place even after the release version of the dependency is produced. It's
probably not because llvm 3.8.1 goes stable that there will be no 3.8.1+i that
could be tested as a -devel port first.

The advantage of using a -devel (sub)port rather than (or in addition to) a
category is that other ports can actually depend on the -devel port, if
necessary. For instance, clang-3.8-devel (clang-devel-3.8?) would probably have
to depend on llvm-3.8-devel (llvm-devel-3.8).

Also, -devel subports can in many cases be subports of the main/release port
because they most likely share a lot of code. I do that all the time with my KF5
ports.

R.