os.major etc. on Linux

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu May 12 03:37:05 PDT 2016

On Thursday May 12 2016 11:57:21 Rainer Müller wrote:

> I would consider this a bug.

Me too, if we're sure it isn't a feature ;)

> We take this directly from
> $tcl_platform(osVersion), which is equivalent to `uname -r`.
>
> As this assumption is wrong for Linux, this is the place where it needs
> to be fixed:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/src/macports1.0/macports.tcl?rev=147347#L633

Looks familiar indeed. That's where I hard-code os_major to 3.
Do you have any suggestion on how to fix this, so I can propose a patch?

Side-ways related: why is os_arch reset to i386 from x86_64 on line 636? From what I've seen that causes packages to be labelled and registered as i386 (i.e. 32bit) when built on 64bit linux.

R.