support for older HardWare and Mac OS X

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon May 23 01:33:57 PDT 2016

On 2016-5-23 17:17 , Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
> I've got 2 older Mac Mini systems I'm using as headless servers:
>
> #=> system_profiler SPHardwareDataType SPSoftwareDataType
> Hardware:
>   Hardware Overview:
>     Model Name      : Mac mini                  Mac mini
>     Model Identifier: Macmini2,1                Macmini1,1
>     Processor Name  : Intel Core 2 Duo          Intel Core Duo
>     Processor Speed : 1,83 GHz                  1,83 GHz
>     Number Of Processors    : 1                 1
>     Total Number Of Cores   : 2                 2
>     L2 Cache        : 2 MB                      2 MB
>     Memory          : 2 GB                      2 GB
>     Bus Speed       : 667 MHz                   667 MHz
>     Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00             MM11.0055.B08
>     SMC Version (system)    : 1.19f2            1.3f4
>
> Software:
>   System Software Overview:
>     System Version  : Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)  Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
>     Kernel Version  : Darwin 10.8.0             Darwin 10.8.0
>     Boot Mode       : Normal                    Normal
>     Secure Virtual Memory       : Not Enabled   Not Enabled
>     64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No            No
>
> How much interest is there in still holding such old stuff supported in
> MacPorts ??? Presently, I've got some issues with some core packages
> I'ld like to get resolved :-)

Snow Leopard is officially a legacy platform, meaning base still runs on
it but you should not have an expectation that issues in ports will
necessarily be fixed.

It's entirely up to the individual maintainer, but my experience is that
a fair number will still work on issues affecting 10.6 (in fact more
than 10.7). 32-bit processors, less so.

It always helps a lot if you can debug the issue yourself and supply a
patch -- it's very rare that such a fix will be rejected as long as it
looks sane and doesn't affect the supported platforms. :-)

- Josh