support for older HardWare and Mac OS X

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Mon May 23 12:52:01 PDT 2016

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 23 May 2016 at 09:17, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
>> I've got 2 older Mac Mini systems I'm using as headless servers:
>>
>>     System Version  : Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)  Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
>>
>> How much interest is there in still holding such old stuff supported in
>> MacPorts ???
>
> 10.6 mostly works. I'm using MP on 10.7 with hardly any issues at all
> (even though it is true that when issues arise, I actively try to
> address them).
>
> The only exception and the biggest problem are software packages that
> require C++11. If you plan to use software that requires C++11, you
> should consider switching to libc++ from the start:
>
>     https://trac.macports.org/wiki/LibcxxOnOlderSystems

I'll do as described on that page.

> and for the moment live with the fact that there are no binary
> packages available, so you should build everything from source.

I'm unable to use binary packages under all circumstances, as I've
specified the install prefix as /macports on all my systems.

>> Presently, I've got some issues with some core packages
>> I'ld like to get resolved :-)
>
> Like Joshua said, if you have patches or if the issues are easy to
> fix, there should be no problem at all. The problem arises when nobody
> with the skill and motivation to fix the problem has access to 10.6 to
> be able to debug and test code. But given that we are still running a
> buildbot on 10.6, developers are at least aware of the build problems.

Some of the issues seem to be 32/64 bit CPU related as eg boost and
kerberos5 fail on the 32 bit computer, but both compile on the 64 bit
computer

The 32/64 bit problem will resolve itself, at I've bought CPU upgrades
to both, so when I get around to it, both will be 64 bit.

The 64 bit can be upgraded to 10.7 out-of-the-box; and using a hack I
got it to run 10.8. But I down-graded again as I want to have the same
OS on both.

I might try the hacintosh path again and see how far up OS X wise I can
get ;-) But I really like the way spaces is implemented (with the grid)
in 10.6 much better than what Apple has done from 10.7 forwards.

> Nobody is actively trying to break compatibility with 10.6 for sure.

I know that :-) I've had some issues before, that got solved to my
satisfaction :-)

> (Even Tiger has some slim chance to work OK, but I would say that
> Tiger is only for the brave by now.)

I'll only go as far back as 10.5 Leopard, as I've gotten some PPC
systems I'm looking to resussicate :
	a Mac Mini (I'll try to use it as a router)
	2 TiBooks
And I haven't met a PPC system that I couldn't coax into being upgraded
to 10.5 ;-)

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
Korsør ; Danmark ; Europa