Working with Git

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Oct 6 10:36:36 PDT 2016

On 2016-10-06 10:22, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 6, 2016, at 02:33, Sterling Smith <smithsp at fusion.gat.com>
> wrote:
>> When is the macports repo on GitHub supposed to appear?
>
> I have no ETA for you yet. "When it's ready." Part of being ready
> includes having documentation about how we'll perform the tasks we
> need to perform on GitHub, so people who know how to do that should
> definitely contribute to the documentation, and people should ask
> questions about things that aren't explained in the documentation.

While I agree we need some basic rules, I do not think we need to make
the instructions too complex. Nobody is going to read them anymore when
they get too long.

We should have an idea how we want to work, but we cannot anticipate
everything. MacPorts has always formed its policies and workflows by
learning how maintainers do their work. I think we should continue the
process that way.

There will always be problems with the transition to GitHub that can be
discussed on the mailing list to find a common solution. Then it can be
documented to point people to that if they have the same problem.

Rainer