git fetch fails because of gnutls_handshake

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 07:38:37 PDT 2016

On Saturday October 29 2016 09:57:35 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

>> I haven't yet found any indication that the port process might be using the OpenSLL library from port:openssl, or indeed any other related library.
>
>What OS are you running? Have you set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH or something else?

No, no such things either.

OK, I must admit this is on Linux; I omitted that to avoid too quick "we don't support that replies" O:-)
But my base build is pretty much stock and apart from this example (git) which apparently bit some users on OS X too I have no issues at all with fetching (or indeed most other functions).

Now that's out:

%> /usr/bin/curl --version
curl 7.35.0 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.35.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1f zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.28 librtmp/2.3
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap ldaps pop3 pop3s rtmp rtsp smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: AsynchDNS GSS-Negotiate IDN IPv6 Largefile NTLM NTLM_WB SSL libz TLS-SRP
%> /opt/local/bin/curl --version
curl 7.45.0 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.45.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2j zlib/1.2.8
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s rtsp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: IPv6 Largefile NTLM NTLM_WB SSL libz TLS-SRP UnixSockets

My system gnutls is kind of old though:
%> /usr/bin/gnutls-cli -version
/usr/bin/gnutls-cli (GnuTLS) 2.12.23
Packaged by Debian (2.12.23-12ubuntu2.5)

but from what I understand gnutls itself isn't the likely culprit?

I may investigate the workaround I proposed on trac, falling back to using an external curl command.

R.