GitHub desired workflow...

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Mon Oct 31 15:21:41 PDT 2016

> On Oct 31, 2016, at 5:55 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 31, 2016, at 5:50 PM, Sean Farley <sean at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure I agree with attempting to modify the git repo at all. For
>> example, what if I'm in the middle of bisecting and need to add/remove a
>> port? Why does 'port sync' call at all what the state is?
>
> Updating the repository is the whole point of "port sync".

That's not to say "port sync" couldn't be smarter about it, obviously.
The Git functionality was implemented in a very straightforward way,
back when just a few people used git-svn or Mac OS Forge's Git mirrors.

But yeah, it's a layer-cake sort of thing. "port selfupdate" updates
base and does a sync. "port sync" updates the ports tree and reindexes.
"portindex"…indexes. The only downside of running "portindex" manually
is that you have to pass the location of the ports tree as an argument.

vq