gdb (Re: lldb ...)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 00:27:34 PDT 2016

On Wednesday August 31 2016 17:29:54 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

>The gdb port instructs the user to modify a system LaunchDaemon to effectively circumvent taskgated. I frankly think that's an awful idea, and future ports should not follow its example.

They certainly shouldn't if there are other ways to get the software to work.

As to gdb, is it even possible to make it work normally? Last times I tried gdb it was at least crippled for code written in C++.

I'm tempted to say that as long as gdb cannot be a true alternative to lldb there's little point in maintaining the port if in addition it requires users to do all kinds of unhealthy things. It's not like it's particularly difficult to build gdb (for the port's target audience at least).

R.