lldb ...

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Sep 2 05:19:02 PDT 2016

On 2016-08-31 23:25, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>> On Aug 31, 2016, at 4:57 PM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I noticed that Apple don't ship an lldb-mi executable (at least they don't for OS X 10.9).
>
> Xcode 7.3 includes it (`xcrun --run lldb-mi`) but Xcode 4.6.3 does not. Someone else is welcome to bisect on that.
>
>> Has anyone looked at building an lldb port before?
>
>> The real problem is going to be with the code-signing. This is done automagically by lldb's Xcode projects so it's not entirely clear which files have to be signed ... nor if an "ad-hoc" signing identify ("-") will lead to a usable debugger.
>
> You opened a ticket about this a while ago. One of Eric's comments hints at what a pain it might be to get it working with code signing.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/45251

That would equivalent to what gdb recommends for codesigning.

https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/BuildingOnDarwin#Giving_gdb_permission_to_control_other_processes

In my opinion, the actual implementation of codesigning should be in base:

1) Create a self-signed certificate/identity for code-signing
2) Import certificate/identity into keychain
3) Add it to trust store (`security add-trusted-cert ...`)
4) In activate phase, if requested in Portfile, codesign the binary

Unsolved problems:
For step 1), how to to automate certificate creation. We cannot click
that in Keychain Assistent. That means finding a way to do it
programmatically with other tools. As far as I see, this is just a
standard x509 certificate which could be done with openssl, but which
extensions need to be enabled?

For step 4), how to give user 'macports' access to the System.keychain
without entering a password? As an alternative, how to import the
identity (both private/public key) into a different keychain with
unlocked access?

Rainer