No Xcode 8 CLT for El Capitan

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Thu Sep 22 01:40:53 PDT 2016

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 11:44, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Jack Howarth has noted on IRC that that Apple will not be releasing
> a Command Line Tools package for Xcode 8 on El Capitan [*].
>
> 	There is no Command Line Tools (OS X 10.11) for Xcode
> 	8 package. Xcode 8 contains SDKs that are incompatible
> 	with earlier toolchains. Developers who want to make use
> 	of the Xcode 8 SDKs from the command line must choose
> 	the SDK with xcode-select. Developers on OS X El Capitan
> 	who have installed versions of the Command Line Tools
> 	(OS X 10.11) for Xcode 8 Beta should install Command
> 	Line Tools (OS X 10.11) for Xcode 7.3.1. (28234439)
>
> Do we need to adjust our installation instructions to account for this?
> The consequences of mixing the Xcode 7 CLT with Xcode 8 are not clear to
> me; maybe it's not a problem at all.

No need to change any instructions for MacPorts.

Install the Xcode 7 CLT
Install Xcode 8.0
Everything will work the way you want.

The only reason that we have our users install the CLT package is for the SDK that is installed at /.  There is no difference between that content in the Xcode 7 CLT and what would have been the Xcode 8 CLT.

The only difference is that the Xcode 8 CLT would contain the Xcode 8 toolchain at /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools.  Unfortunately, this toolchain (specifically swift) is not compatible with the OS X 10.11 SDK, so we did not ship it and are working on a solution to the problem.

--Jeremy