[MacPorts] WorkingWithGit modified

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Fri Sep 23 12:46:33 PDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> Seems best to always create a branch before beginning any work, in case you find out later you have more work you want to submit.

I use git at work and our workflow is to create a new branch for every
issue, even if it's as small as a single character typo in a
documentation file. git clones are really inexpensive so I think the
advantage really shows itself for smaller changes where you can
quickly open multiple pull requests.

We also require that all tests pass before any pull is merged to
master with the goal that master is never broken. I'm not sure if
there's any way to integrate the status from the buildbot with Github
pull requests. Or if there's an easy way to have the buildbot build
from external branches. It would certainly be nifty if the status of
each buildbot could be listed next to the pull request for base and
ports.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448