font problems in ghostview & gv

Robert Montgomery admin at bonfiredev.ca
Tue Oct 3 08:35:37 PDT 2006

I'm new to OS X and especially this whole macports / darwinports thing,
however my first impression was, "wow, that was easy"!  However, things
didnt work out so well in the end.  It appeared that I was able to
install ghostview & gv (using port) with no apparent problems.
However, I cant view any .ps files which have text in them because I
always get an "invalid font" error.  I'm using basic built in fonts like
Courier and Helvetica.   I've used the same exact postscript syntax to
call those fonts for well over a decade and never had a problem from a
variety of unix/linux flavors...  My understanding was that these were
core fonts that were part of every postscript interpreter, which is why
we always used these basic fonts.    So anyways, I guess I was wrong.

Anyone have an idea of how to get these (or any fonts) working?

THANKS!
Rob