Can't Self Update

Ryan Schmidt macports-2006c at ryandesign.com
Tue Oct 3 12:45:23 PDT 2006

On Oct 3, 2006, at 00:05, Sean Hermany wrote:

> I originally installed from the 1.3.1-1 DMG file from darwinports.org.
> Install seemed to go ok, however when I tried to selfupdate, it
> failed. I went back to darwinports.org, which had transitioned to
> macports.org by this time. I then downloaded the 1.3.2 tarball, built
> it, and installed it. Again, seemed to work fine.
>
> However, it just can't selfupdate. I've been getting the same error
> everytime, with the DMG build, and the one I built from source. I did
> a system software update Friday night and tried again, with no
> different results if that makes a difference. Here's a console session
> with my error:
>
> Seans-Mac:~ seanh$ port -v
> MacPorts 1.320
> Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
> [Users/seanh] > quit
> Goodbye
> Seans-Mac:~ seanh$ sudo port selfupdate
> Password:
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync dports
> tree: sync failed doing rsync
> Seans-Mac:~ seanh$

Maybe this applies?

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2006-September/
000212.html

I had to change darwinports.org to macports.org in the files
mentioned before selfupdate would work again for me.

To the MacPorts people: is every DarwinPorts user supposed to have to
change those files manually or should it happen automatically somehow?