php5 +postgresql install

Ryan Schmidt macports-2006d at ryandesign.com
Mon Oct 9 11:05:23 PDT 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 10:15, js wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2006, at 08:25, Matt Kane's Brain wrote:
>
>> I am using OS 10.4.8 powerpc, apache version 1.3.37, php version
>> 5.1.6, postgresql 8.1.4.
>>
>> I eventually fixed the problem by changing the portfile to use /
>> opt/local/sbin/apxs instead of /usr/sbin/apxs. I don't know enough
>> about Portfiles to figure out how to fix it for the macosx
>> variant. Here's the portfile:
>
> How long will we need this hack, just for installing apache+php?
> seems like ridiculous and wrong.
>
> Anyone working on this problem?

No, but let's talk about it.

It always seemed to me that if you're building your own Apache,
you're probably building Apache 2, since Apple already provides a
perfectly serviceable Apache 1.

On the other hand, MacPorts philosophy has always been to install its
own software, even when Apple already provides the same software, for
good reasons which are explained elsewhere.

The php5 port, if you use the apache (not apache2) variant, currently
uses Apple's Apache if you're on Mac OS X, and the apache(1) port
otherwise (e.g. on Darwin, which is however no longer relevant as we
are now MacPorts and no longer DarwinPorts).

So there are three ways we can go:

1. Leave the port the way it is. On Mac OS X, if you build with the
apache variant, you use Apple's Apache.
2. Change the port something like what Matt did, and make the apache
variant build the apache port and ignore Apple's Apache.
3. Provide both options. Add a variant apple-apache[1] to use Apple's
Apache and let the apache variant build MacPorts's apache port.

What are your opinions?

To those who have built MacPorts's apache(1) port, why have you done
this and not used Apple's Apache? I'd just like to understand the use
case.

[1] If there is an existing naming convention for a variant like this
we should adopt that.