Fetchmail, no address associated with nodename

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Wed Oct 18 14:29:37 PDT 2006

Aurélien DEHAY <aurelien.dehay at mac.com> on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at
1:13 PM -0800 wrote:
>I've installed fetchmail via macports on my iMac. I know this
>question is not macports specific, but maybe someone knows...
>
>ordinateur-de-aurelien-dehay:/etc root# fetchmail -f fetchmailrc -N -v
>fetchmail: Avertissement: appeler fetchmail avec privil`eges root est
>d'econseille.
>fetchmail: 6.3.5 interroge imap.laposte.net (protocole IMAP) `a Wed
>Oct 18 22:00:12 2006 : r'ecup'eration en cours
>fetchmail: 'echec getaddrinfo("imap.laposte.net","imap") : No address
>associated with nodename
>'Echec de connexion IMAP avec imap.laposte.net: Unknown error: 0
>
>A "host imap.laposte.net" give me this answers:
>ordinateur-de-aurelien-dehay:/etc root# host imap.laposte.net
>imap.laposte.net has address 81.255.54.7
>Host imap.laposte.net not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
>;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>
>A nslookup on the same address:
>ordinateur-de-aurelien-dehay:/etc root# nslookup
> > imap.laposte.net
>Server:         192.168.100.1
>Address:        192.168.100.1#53
>
>Non-authoritative answer:
>Name:   imap.laposte.net
>Address: 81.255.54.7

I don't know fetchmail, but it is always a good troubleshooting step with
mailservers to try to telnet to the tcp port in question and see if it
responds.  IMAP is on port 143 so ....

$ telnet  imap.laposte.net 143
Trying 81.255.54.7...
Connected to imap.laposte.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK IMAP4 server ready (7.2.060.1)

The service looks up.  If you get this reponse from where you are the
mailserver's IMAP daemon must be ok and you must have an application error
or some sort preventing fetchmail from working.

Mark