Error: Status 1

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 1 10:51:01 PDT 2007

On Apr 1, 2007, at 12:12, Fred Bauder wrote:

> --->  Installing XFree86 4.5.0_2
> --->  Activating XFree86 4.5.0_2
> Error: Target com.apple.activate returned: Image error: /usr/X11R6/
> bin/appres already exists and does not belong to a registered
> port.  Unable to activate port XFree86.
>
> I'm new to the list, and to the software, and know little about
> these programs. But I thought I would try out installing XFree86 (I
> had good luck with ImageMagick).

You already have a part of Apple's X11 installed. I recommend you use
Apple's X11, not XFree86. Make sure you have both the X11User.pkg
(from the Mac OS X install CD/DVD) and X11SDK.pkg (from the Xcode
disk image) installed. Check in /Library/Receipts to see which of
those you still need. After you have both, MacPorts won't try to
install XFree86; it'll recognize Apple's X11 as satisfying the
dependency.

> I got into this trying to deal with .svg images, and eventually
> stumbled on both Fink and MacPorts. How do they interact with each
> other?

Sometimes badly.

> Can both be installed and used?

Not recommended.

What do you need from Fink that you can't get from MacPorts?