Upgrade confusion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 4 01:21:22 PDT 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 23:16, Mike Alexander wrote:

> Something is confused in my MacPorts setup.  After a selfupdate
> tonight (which got version 1.4) it tries to upgrade the same ports
> over and over again, even though they don't need upgrading.  For
> example when I execute "port -uf upgrade gnucash" I get the sequence
>
> --->  Deactivating expat 2.0.0_1
> --->  Uninstalling expat 2.0.0_1
> --->  Installing expat 2.0.0_1
> --->  Activating expat 2.0.0_1
>
> I've seen this for expat about 6 times so far, and similar things
> happen with many other ports.  At least it's not rebuilding the
> ports, so it doesn't take too long.

You have requested that MacPorts force the reinstallation or upgrade
of gnucash and all its dependencies by using the -f flag.
Unfortunately MacPorts is not very smart here, and will reinstall
each port each time it is encountered in the dependency chain, which
may be many times.

You should either use

port -u upgrade gnucash

to upgrade gnucash and all dependencies, *but only if that's
necessary*, or use

port -ufn upgrade gnucash

to force the upgrade or reinstallation of gnucash and only gnucash
(and none of the dependencies).

> Also, it tries to install XFree86 even though I have Apple's X11
> installed (correctly I think, I've been using it for years and have
> installed many ports that depend on it).  After telling me it won't
> install XFree86 because I have X11 installed, it then proceeds to
> install it anyway.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

I don't know what's going on there.

You do have both X11User.pkg and X11SDK.pkg installed? Check /Library/
Receipts to verify that this is so.

XFree86 was just updated to a new version. I don't know if that
changed its behavior at all.