autoconf build failure

Dan Stowell danstowell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 02:21:21 PDT 2007

2007/4/9, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>:
> On Apr 8, 2007, at 13:38, Dan Stowell wrote:
>
> > dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _sprintf$LDBLStub
> >  Referenced from:
> > /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/darwin-2level/auto/Data/Dumper/
> > Dumper.bundle
> >  Expected in: dynamic lookup
>
> It looks like someone else mentioned this problem in October 2006 but
> did not receive a response to their message and did not write back to
> say if or how they solved it:
>
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2006-October/
> 000334.html
>
> Someone else encountered it in February 2006 on another list (there
> it was in relation to MySQL and Python), and it looks like the
> problem could be that you're using gcc 3.3 instead of gcc 4.0 on Mac
> OS X 10.4.x:
>
> http://dunck.us/anabasis/archives/2006/02/23/mysqldb-on-mac-os-x-104/
>
> What does "gcc_select" say on your system? It should say version
> 4.0.1. If it says version 3.3, then you should select version 4 with
> "sudo gcc_select 4.0"
>
> I'm not sure whether the problem is that autoconf doesn't like gcc
> 3.3 on Tiger, or maybe it's perl. Maybe you'll need to rebuild perl
> after fixing the compiler version.

That does it! Thanks.

For info: selected gcc was 3.3. After changing to 4.0, I tried
cleaning and rebuilding just autoconf but it failed in the same way;
after uninstalling/cleaning/installing perl5.8 I could install
autoconf.

Thanks both for your suggestions. And thanks for the gcc_select tip; I
did wonder why my system kept using the older gcc (in other
situations)...

Dan