Missing libavcodec library in ffmpeg port

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Fri Apr 20 12:19:28 PDT 2007

Boey Maun Suang wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>> For fun, I tried this:
>>
>>     svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk ffmpeg
>>     ./configure --enable-shared --disable-vhook
>>     make
>>
>> Looks like it compiled fine -- that's version 8743.
>
> I've updated the ffmpeg port to revision 8743, which builds for me;
> try it in 12 hours after a selfupdate and let me know how it goes.  We
> really need to add a note to it to explain that they're not making
> stable releases at the moment, and to fix the version reported by
> MacPorts to reflect this, but I'll have to leave that for another time.
Fantastic -- and you're right, this is how we're going to have to deal
with ffmpeg. They say upfront not to wait around for an official
release. Christian Marillat's multimedia packages for Debian typically
release a new version off ffmpeg from SVN once a month; macports might
aim for a couple of times a year at a minimum. While they don't release
official versions, they are great at keeping the main branch stable.

> By the way, do you fancy submitting a Portfile for transcode so that
> we can share your good work?  Have a look at other Portfiles (port cat
> <portname>) and reading portfile(7) for help on how to write one.
Chuck Remes and I might be able to cobble something together if nobody
else steps up to the plate; we'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Dave