Launching mysql5

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 26 02:59:27 PDT 2007

On Apr 26, 2007, at 04:12, Thoraval Yvon wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 03:59:56 -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> You don't say what OS you're using, but if you're using Mac OS X 10.4
>> or later, the recommended way to start mysqld now, and at every
>> system startup from now on, is:
>>
>> sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/
>> org.macports.mysql5.plist
>>
>> The recommended way to stop mysqld now, and prevent it from starting
>> up automatically, is:
>>
>> sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/
>> org.macports.mysql5.plist
>
> I'm using 10.4.9, MacPorts didn't install org.macports.mysql5.plist :
>
> $ ls -al /Library/LaunchDaemons
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel    76 Apr  5 23:34
> org.macports.OpenSSH.plist -> /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/
> org.macports.OpenSSH/org.macports.OpenSSH.plist
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel    76 Apr 23 19:52
> org.macports.apache2.plist -> /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/
> org.macports.apache2/org.macports.apache2.plist
>

> BUT in order to start mysql server from SHELL i had to change some
> perms :
>
> $ sudo chown -R mysql /opt/local/var/db/mysql5
>
> following an error message (in  /opt/local/var/db/mysql5/www.une-
> bevue.fr.err) :
>
> 070426 09:53:13  mysqld started
> 070426  9:53:13 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because
> file system for /opt/local/var/db/mysql5/ is case insensitive
> 070426  9:53:14  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file
> operation.
> InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
> InnoDB: the directory.
> InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
> InnoDB: File operation call: 'create'.
> InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
> 070426 09:53:14  mysqld ended
>

> RIGHT NOW i'm able to connect to mysql server from SHELL or Aqua
> DataBase Studio.
> ***********
>

> HOWEVER a :
>
> $ locate org.macports.mysql5.plist
>
> founds NOTHING ???
>
> something is missing after my "sudo port install php5 +apache2
> +mysql5"

You deleted the part of my message which contains the answer to your
question:

>> All of the above assumes you have installed the mysql5 port with
>> the +server variant. If you did not do that, you should uninstall
>> mysql5 and reinstall it with that variant.

The org.macports.mysql5 plist is only created if you request the
+server variant when you install mysql5. If you did not already have
mysql5 installed, then installing php5 +mysql5 would have installed
mysql5 for you with no variants selected.

If you had installed the +server variant, I believe the db directory
permissions would also have been set correctly for you.