following items did not execute (for gd2): com.apple.activate

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 28 10:14:38 PDT 2007

On Apr 28, 2007, at 03:21, Boey Maun Suang wrote:

>> Today I  tried  installing GD2 again in order to send the log, and
>> this time it appears that all of yesterday's errors are no longer
>> there, however the last few lines in  the Port Authority Log
>> showed the following:
>>
>> /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gdfontt.h' '/opt/local/var/db/dports/
>> build/
>> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate
>> _dports_graphics_gd2/work/destroot/opt/local/include/gdfontt.h'
>> /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'entities.h' '/opt/local/var/db/dports/
>> build/
>> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate
>> _dports_graphics_gd2/work/destroot/opt/local/include/entities.h'
>> --->  Installing gd2 2.0.34_0
>> --->  Activating gd2 2.0.34_0
>> Warning: the following items did not execute (for gd2):
>> com.apple.activate
>>
>> Any ideas how  to fix this problem ?
>
> I'm pretty sure that the problem is that gd2 and gd2-nox11 cannot
> be active simultaneously due to requiring files with identical
> names to be placed in identical locations.  If Port Authority has
> an option to execute port verbosely or with debug output, you
> should be able to see that in the log.  To fix this, just
> deactivate gd2-nox11 before installing gd2.

I took over maintenance of gd2 when the port went nomaintainer, and I
upgraded it to 2.0.34 when that was released.

Then I discovered gd2-nox11, and decided I'd better become maintainer
of that as well, but did not update it to 2.0.34 yet or do anything
else to it.

I did not understand why there was a separate gd2-nox11 port. In
other cases when it is desired to omit x11 support, a no_x11 variant
is created. (See the graphviz port, for example.) I thought maybe it
was so that ports could depend on gd2-nox11, but no ports depend on
it. Greg, can you shed some light on this? I would prefer to have a
single gd2 port with a no_x11 variant, unless there's a compelling
reason not to do that.