A patch for installing php5 -macosx +apache

js ebgssth at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 07:50:35 PDT 2007

Hello, Ryan.

> > variant macosx {
> >        configure.args-append \
> >                --with-ldap=/usr \
> >                --with-kerberos=/usr \
> >                --with-iodbc=/usr
> > }
> >
> > I specified '-macosx' because I don't want to use osx-prpvided libs.
>
> Specifying "-macosx" is ... weird. Variants like macosx and darwin_8
> are auto-selected by MacPorts; you should not be selecting (or, as in
> your case, unselecting) them by hand.

Good to know.
I don't know you're the right person to ask this,
but how about adding that info to MacPorts FAQ?
I think many people's been wondering what macosx is.

> I haven't touched the macosx variant since taking over the port. I
> don't even know what iodbc is. And I know very very little about
> kerberos.
>
> Is it just --with-kerberos=/usr you're objecting to here, or the
> other two lines as well?

Acutually, I don't care about all of them.
the real reason I used -macosx is that
I wanted to use php5 with MacPorts apache, not OS X's one.

variant apache conflicts apache2 fastcgi {
        if { ! [variant_isset macosx] } {
                depends_lib-append \
                        path:${prefix}/sbin/apxs:apache
                configure.args-append \
                        --with-apxs=${prefix}/sbin/apxs
        } else {
                configure.args-append \
                        --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs
        }
}

But, as you see, -macosx removes --with-kerberos line from the
configure options,
which c-client depends. This is why I added kerberos things to variant apache.

> MacPorts philosophy is in general to use its own software, not system-
> provided libraries, unless there's a compelling reason. I don't know
> what the reason was for using ldap, kerberos and iodbc from the OS
> here. If anyone knows, please chime in.

The reason might be that php5 port assumed
people who don't care about which apache is used with php5 is
probably prefers OS X's apache, whch is already there and in that way,
considered to be 'easy'. (I don't like this idea, though)
In that case, using OS X's libraries (ldap, kerberos and iodbc) is natural thing
to do I suppose.

Can you change the default behavior to use MacPorts' apache?