gtk2 compiling problem

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Tue Aug 14 08:44:43 PDT 2007

Michael <gmichaelt at gmail.com> writes:
>I've wondered whether there might be a problem with a mismatch of the
>installed
>XCode and the version of MacPorts in play here - neither
>http://www.macports.org/ nor
>http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts are
>particularly helpful in sorting out the question of what 10.3.x needs/can
>use. I
>only installed 1.510 (specifically the 10.3 variant) because there
>appeared to
>be nothing to contradict doing so and using an earlier version
>appropriate to
>the installed XCode. I considered installing the X11 SDK from XCode 2.4.1,
>perhaps some other parts of it, too, but demurred; why complicate matters?

Yes, the install docs don't cover 10.3.  But 10.3 is not heavily used and
it will soon not be among the most recent two releases, which is our
target audience.  It could be added though, it just wasn't the top
priority because the docs were so lacking in commonly needed things.

>I'm also unclear on the syntax for using variants on the command line;
>http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/UsingMacPortsQuickStart
>is
>muddy on this subject...
>
>Information is not bubbling to the surface.

The QuickStart needs some work, or perhaps some parts can be removed that
are handled in the new guide.  See if it is better on the subject of
variants; I added some on that topic just last night.
http://geeklair.net/new_macports_guide/  Look in "Using MacPorts".  What
isn't clear can be changed so let us know.

Mark