libexec directory?

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Aug 16 06:27:32 PDT 2007

N_Ox wrote:

>> I'm curious what is the logic for having two separate directories one
>> named "libexec" and the other named "bin"?
>
> From porthier(7):
>                      libexec/  system daemons & system utilities
> (executed by
>                                other programs)

Also noteworthy is that "libexec" is a UNIX/BSD standard, and that it
isn't in the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS). Thus, on some
distributions (e.g. RedHat) you'll find the programs in their upstream
location of "libexec" and on other distributions (e.g. Debian) you'll
find the programs randomized between "lib/$name" and "sbin". Quite
intriguing...

If you're into that sort of thing, you can also find out the
differences between "sbin" and "bin". Or "/usr" and "/usr/local".

--anders