MTree violation error when building port

Samuel M. Smith smithsm at samuelsmith.org
Thu Aug 16 15:54:08 PDT 2007

When I try to install xpdf using macports 1.510 it fails (actually on
the first dependency ghostscript)

.... ---> Staging ghostscript into destroot Error: violation by /opt/
local/man Error: Target org.macports.destroot returned: mtree violation!

I noticed in the archive that this problem was reported before and a
new version of macports is needed to fix it. When will the new
version be posted as I am dead in the water until then.

I tried downgrading to macports 1.3.2 by deleting /opt and
reinstalling but sudo port install xpdf chokes with

albook:samuel$ sudo port install xpdf
Password:
Error: Unable to execute port: invalid command name "universal_variant"

Also tried macports 1.4 but it has the mtree violation. So basically
can't do anything with macports until its fixed.

Samuel M. Smith Ph.D.
2966 Fort Hill Road
Eagle Mountain, Utah 84005-4108
801-768-2768 voice
801-768-2769 fax
"The greatest source of failure and unhappiness in the world is
giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment"