postgresql server not starting

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Aug 16 16:37:09 PDT 2007

On Aug 16, 2007, at 7:16 PM, Brad Miller wrote:
> Is there some other step I've missed that will get postgres to start?

Did you also follow the instructions the postgresql82-server port
printed?

To create a database instance, after install do
sudo mkdir -p /opt/local/var/db/postgresql82/defaultdb
sudo chown postgres:postgres /opt/local/var/db/postgresql82/defaultdb
sudo su postgres -c '/opt/local/lib/postgresql82/bin/initdb -D /opt/
local/var/db/postgresql82/defaultdb'

To tweak your DBMS, consider increasing kern.sysv.shmmax
by adding an increased kern.sysv.shmmax .. to /etc/sysctl.conf

--
Daniel J. Luke