PostgreSQL portfile outdated

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Aug 30 14:47:26 PDT 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 01:21, David Christopher Zentgraf wrote:

> On  30. Aug 2007, at 14:36, Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:
>
>> sorry for the inconvenience, but if you look deeper, you see that
>> all ports with the version number attached, build fine. The reason
>> for this is the format incompatibility between different versions,
>> e.g. the format of 8.1 database is different from 8.0 &c. The
>> latest port is postgresql82 (with two additional ports, ~-doc for
>> documentation and ~-server for startupitems).
>> The port postgresql is still there, but it is not maintained (if
>> you look port info, it says nomaintainer). It will probably be
>> removed in the future.
>> PS You can use port search feature to find similar ports, e.g.
>> 'port search name:postgresql' gives you a list of all ports
>> containing postgresql.
>
> Yes, I found the same in the meantime, didn't look deep enough at
> first. :)
> The dysfunctional postgresql port should indeed be canned soon.

Sure. The remaining ports that depend on "postgresql" should be
updated to depend on "postgresql7" instead. Then the "postgresql"
port can be removed.

Here are the affected ports, found with

$ cd `port dir qt3`/../..
$ grep :postgresql */*/Portfile | grep -v -E 'postgresql[0-9]'

BigSQL (nomaintainer)
gauche-dbd-pg (nomaintainer)
prelude-manager (julien.touche at touche.fr.st -- but it's only in a
commented-out variant)