sudo port install xboard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 12 19:07:53 PST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007, at 21:03, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2007, at 20:58, Charles Darwin wrote:
>
>> $uname -r;arch
>> 8.11.0
>> ppc
>> $ sudo port install xboard
>> --->  Configuring xboard
>> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: error copying "/usr/
>> share/libtool/config.guess": no such file or directory
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>> $
>
> Why don't you have /usr/share/libtool/config.guess on your system?
> It should be there.
>
> We had one report of this before, for a different port I think
> (there are many that employ the technique of copying that file) but
> I don't think we ever found out why the user was missing that file.

Here we go. The problem was reported for libnet:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/13334

And for cdrtools on the mailing list. In this message of that thread,
I listed all the ports that employ this technique:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-November/
007087.html

However, I still don't understand why the technique doesn't work, or
rather, why that file is missing on some users' systems. Any insight
would be appreciated.