First port installation fails

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Dec 14 06:29:12 PST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 11:04 AM, Markus Weissmann wrote:
> hmmm... indeed - would it be possible to make a perl5.8 port that
> uses a perl5.8-minimal and all the modules that would otherwise need
> to overwrite parts of the perl5.8 port?

Oh that's interesting, I don't know if we can do that or not. That's a
really good idea if we can do it.

Perhaps we should check to see what freebsd ports does?

> Or could we make perl give the "vendor" modules a higher precedence?

We can do this, but it makes the search order different from vanilla
(non-macports) perl.

> Does someone know which perl-ports need to replace parts of perl5.8?

I maintain two that do, but I'm not sure what else currently does (if
we can do minimal perl with a bunch of ports to fill in the normal
modules, we'll probably have to add a bunch of module ports).

--
Daniel J. Luke